How to speed up a Windows PC
You do not know how to speed up your PC? Then I’ll explain how to do it using CCleaner for free on a computer that has Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1.
Although the majority of users who use a PC with Windows (eg XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1) is not aware of it, the computer fills in the continuation of junk files and / or file “useless” in fact, when install a program, browsing the internet, or simply use a program, the files are automatically created to allow different applications to work properly. One of the most used by all programs is the temporary files folder (usually located in C: \ Windows \ Temp) and that, over time, can reach sizes of several gigabytes, thus taking up valuable space on the disk, because different applications use it as if it were a real “dump”. Unfortunately, in addition to this folder, there are many others that are used as a “deposit” and which are not always easy to get to be able to delete the contents. Moreover, if these folders contain personal information, even eliminating them, this information is still easily recoverable (with special programs).
How to speed up a PC that has Windows XP Vista 7 8 or 8.1?
To solve these and many other similar problems, there are several programs to clean and to speed up a PC that has the Windows operating system, but one of the best among them is without a doubt the Piriform CCleaner, Defraggler from the same manufacturer, of Recuva and Speccy. In addition to deleting temporary files, CCleaner also has other useful features such as cleaning the registry, the ability to uninstall applications, the ability to delete or disable the items that start with Windows, the ability to manage the system restores and also the ability to permanently delete files without the possibility to recover them.
In addition to the standard version (completely free) are born other paid versions:
- the Professional version, which allows you to delete files from all accounts, to monitor the situation in real time and automatically update (the standard version, we can update it manually);
- Professional Plus version, which in addition to the functions of Professional, including the Professional versions of Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy.
Fortunately, the free version is, in my opinion, more than enough, plus there is also a portable version (ie without the need to be installed) and a slim version with the installer, but without installing the toolbar as is, optionally, in the standard version.
Installation, configuration and use of CCleaner
Once downloaded CCleaner, proceed to install it by selecting the language in Italian, and if you want, I suggest you leave checked only the following items (under Advanced there is the option to choose whether to install CCleaner to all users on the computer or only for the current user):
If you have chosen the version with the toolbar, pay attention during the installation if you do not want to install it. And press Install, the installation is complete, we remove the check mark to See the release notes, then click on Finish.
Once the installation is complete, the first time, in the latest versions, there might be asked if you want to start searching smart cookie, so as to keep some files: my advice is to answer No, in this way we will a more thorough cleaning.
The program has 4 sections on the left: Cleaning (that is one in which we find ourselves at startup), Registry, Tools and Options. Let’s see what they do and how to configure them.
It is divided into sections: Settings, Cookies, Custom, Exclusions and Advanced.
- Settings: In this section I suggest you leave the check only to Automatically check for updates to CCleaner. How kind of leave cancellation Normal (fast) otherwise, a cancellation safer, we can select Safe (slow) and then the type of overwriting (up to 35 steps) Recalling that repeatedly overwrites deleted files, the harder it is to recover but , at the same time, in the long run, many overwrites reduce the life of our hard disk or our SSD.
- Cookies: In this section we can manage cookies to store, cookies by selecting from the list Cookie detected on your computer and pressing the arrow -> to include them in the list of cookies to keep. I advise you to not store any cookies, because in this way we will make a more thorough cleaning.
- Customize: In this section you can select the folders and files that CCleaner will remove extra (for advanced users only).
- Exclusions: In this section you can select the files, folders and registry entries that CCleaner will exclude from the removal (for advanced users only).
- Advanced: In this section I suggest you leave the check only Ask whether to save a backup of the registry problems, save all settings in the INI file, Ignore User Account Control alert and, if you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, even to Enable processes in the Jump List.
It is divided into sections: Uninstall, Start, and Search Files, System Restore and Reclamation drive.
Uninstalling: In this section we find the list of all the programs installed on our computer and, if desired, we can uninstall programs just as we do from the control panel, but in addition, we also have the ability to rename or delete an item from the (very useful if after you uninstall a program, there is still the entry in the list). If you hit the Save as text … we can save the entire list of programs in text format.
Start: In this section we find the programs that are set to run when the computer starts or browser, scheduled jobs and the entries in the context menu (ie the items that appear by right-clicking the mouse). To speed up your pc, we can then decide whether to delete or disable a particular heading. Again, if we want to save the list displayed in text format, press Save As Text … (present in each sub-section).
File Search: In this section we perform a search to find duplicate files, by setting criteria such as name, size, last modified, content and other options.
System Restore: In this section we find all the restore points that were automatically created by System Restore, with the possibility, if desired, to remove them (except the last one for security reasons) to free up space.
Reclamation Drive: This section allows you to permanently delete files on the system, given that the deleted files with special programs, can be recovered. We can only choose whether to reclaim the free space, or the entire hard disk, with the possibility to select the type of overwriting: simple (step 1), Advanced (3 steps), complex (7 steps), very complex (35 steps ).
In this section CCleaner eliminates several errors from the registry of Windows. Then press Find, and then click Repair selected problems. If we left the check to Ask whether to save a backup of your registry problems in the Advanced section of the Options, you will be asked if you want to backup changes to the registry: then answer Yes. Expect CCleaner runs out again and repeat the procedure until when they are no longer detected problems.
This is the main section of CCleaner and is divided into two sections: Windows and Applications. Once you have checked the items you want, which is in the Windows section in the Applications section, knowing that the more you spuntiamo and better (except Windows Event Log and Remediation free space, which are located in the Advanced section of the first Windows), press Analyze. If we are asked to close the browser, chiudiamolo and we expect that the analysis is completed. At this point, click on Start and wait for the end cleaning. If we want, we repeat the cleaning process several times.
Before you start doing this cleanse, I recommend that you manually clean the history of your browser, usually just press CTRL + SHIFT (located above CTRL) + DELETE with the browser open, to be able to delete.
Now that you know how to speed up a PC that has Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 you should be able to speed up your computer whenever you need it. My advice, however, is to do a cleaning with CCleaner as possible (at least once a month).