How to find drivers for your computer
The driver is the software component that runs the hardware devices. Without them, the computer would be a pile of junk.
Although Plug’n’play, USB, auto-installed and easy to use, devices connected to our PC need drivers to function. Drivers are programs written in a conventional manner, explaining to the operating system how to communicate with the video card, audio, the Web cam or scanner. Driverless our computer could not even recognize the keyboard or the mouse and it would, in fact, useless. Modern operating systems are supplied with many drivers already installed, so the most common devices, such as the monitor, are recognized automatically without the need for user intervention.
However, when we install a new device, we provide the system with all the necessary information, that most of the time they are collected in a CD-ROM or a USB stick attached to the original package. Like all programs, it happens sometimes that the drivers are subject to errors or problems. If a device suddenly stops working, before thinking about a more serious hardware damage, we can hypothesize a problem in the driver, which is often resolved with a simple reinstallation.
The driver, finally, can be updated by the manufacturers, so that add new features to the device or solve problems encountered during the sale. In this case, the updated versions of the drivers can be found on the manufacturer’s website, you should visit once a year, just to keep you informed. Let’s see how to check the health of drivers in our computer and fix any problems. operating system we used is Windows : To make changes in this area need to log in as a system administrator.
- To check if all the drivers are properly installed, you must open the ” Device Manager “. A keyboard shortcut is pressing the WIN key together with the Pause / Break, but you can also follow the longest path (and safe) in the Control Panel. Open the Start Menu / Control Panel and double-click the System tab. Change to the Hardware tab and click the button “Device Manager.” In a few seconds you will see a window that shows the status of all devices connected to the computer . The first, highlighted by a yellow question mark, are those who have problems with drivers. Click the “+” sign to expand the list and check out what’s not working. In our case the scanner is: let’s double-click it. If you obviously do not see any yellow question mark, it means that our system is in place. However, we can use the following steps if you want to change a driver operated with a newer version.
- In the “Device status” we can read what is the problem that plagues our drivers. The problem is also associated with a council, which in 90% of cases results in “Reinstalling the driver”. It’s time to retrieve the CD-ROM or USB stick that was contained in the original packaging, or on the Internet for an updated driver from the manufacturer’s website of our device (usually found under ” Downloads “). I click on the “Driver” tab.
- Proceed with the installation by clicking the “Update Driver”. Windows does not clear, but the drivers that replace files, automatically creating a restore point. If you encounter problems with the device after the update, we can always fix coming in this window and selecting the ” Roll Back Driver “.
- An automatic procedure to guide us in the choice of the driver. If you have with you the driver disk (or if you’ve downloaded them from the Internet) put the check mark next to “Install from a list or specific location”, otherwise leave it next to “Install the software automatically” in this If your surgery is over, but the driver will be chosen from among those available to Windows inside, which often are not enough. Click “Next”.
- The system asks you where the driver is located. You can leave him the task to locate on CD-ROM ochiavetta Usb, obviously after being inserted into the drive, or specify the search path by clicking “Browse” and then flipping the disc, and the various sub-folders, as long as the button “OK” will become usable. This means that the system has found the driver file, and you can click “OK” to continue the installation.
- The system will take a few seconds to copy the driver from the disk and, in some cases, may even ask you to insert CD-ROM. When finished, close the wizard by clicking “Finish”.
- From this moment the device should work properly. To verify that the driver has been installed properly , you can repeat the procedure in step 1. This time you will not find as many question marks, but you’ll have to search for the device in the list broken down by type. For further confirmation, after finding it, double-click it.
- This will open the window we saw in step 2. I click the Driver tab and choose ” Driver Details “. A window will open that will show us the path of the driver installed correctly and functioning. If you want, make a backup copy, perhaps along with other drivers for all devices, you will save on a CDROM or on a separate disk. You will thus always at hand all the drivers in case of malfunctions or formatting the hard disk .
In multiuser systems, it is the person who has access to all the features of the system and that can to vary at will the hardware and software configuration. If you are a single user of Windows, you are automatically system administrator.
In English it means “guide” and is the program that controls or regulates a hardware device , such as a printer or hard drive, allowing proper operation.
Authentication process to access certain services software, which requires you to enter a username and a secret password.
A term used in computing to refer to any external hardware connected to your computer. Printer, modem, joystick, scanner and web cam are all devices.
“Plug and play”, ie “put the plug itself and begins to work.” A standard developed by Microsoft and Intel that allows a computer to recognize and automatically configure some devices.
Feature introduced in Windows Me and also present in all subsequent ones, which “photographs” the state of the operating system before making any significant changes. In case of need, the system is able to return to the previous state only by the change.
How to find the driver!
The driver is a file with the extension “. inf” file which is automatically recognized by the operating system with the steps in this process step by step. Sometimes houses[HTML2]producing devices build installers that automatically take you to install the driver, but if you browse the contents of the CD-ROM or floppy disk you will surely find the famous file. “inf.” When you buy a device, especially used, always ask for a driver disk. If there is not, check if it is available on the Internet at least, otherwise it is very likely not be able to complete the installation. To find updated drivers or recover those lost , always start from the manufacturer’s website, or avail yourself of one of the numerous sites that offer collections of driver or addresses of manufacturers such as Windows Hardware ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/default.aspx ). You can also search engines like Google ( google.com ) or Yahoo ( yahoo.com ) by writing the name of the device and “driver + download”.
Because of the diversity of modern hardware and operating systems, drivers operate in many different environments.
Drivers can interface with:
(for pointing devices such as mice, keyboards, USB, etc.)
Computer storage devices such as hard drives, CD-ROM and floppy disk buses (ATA, SATA, SCSI)
Implementing support for different file systems
Allowing the operating system direct access to the resource hardware implementation of an interface for non-driver software (eg TWAIN)