Sometimes one needs to install Windows 7 from USB without CD / DVD. This happens especially on netbooks, which are laptops without a recorder, but can also happen if you can no longer find the original CD / DVD of the operating system. To solve these and other problems of this kind, there is help directly from Microsoft that, with a free program, it allows you to install Windows 7 without using CD / DVD, but simply using a pen / USB flash drive.
How to install Windows 7 from USB without CD / DVD?
Before proceeding, it is noted that in order to install Windows 7 via USB you should have: an account with administrator privileges, the product key of the operating system, a USB stick with at least 4 gigabytes, the original ISO of Windows 7 operating system and, like the operating system, at least Windows XP SP2 (installed with version 2.0 of the Microsoft. NET Framework and the Image Mastering API). That said, here are the steps to follow:
- First, download the Windows 7 USB DVD tool;
- Once installed, open the program Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool via the icon on your desktop (answer Yes to any request);
- In the first step, called Choose ISO file, you must select the Windows 7 ISO that you downloaded previously: then click on Browse and select it. Once you select the ISO image click on Next;
- In the second step, called Choose media type, since you want to install Windows 7 via USB, you must select the USB device;
- In the third step, called Insert USB device, select from the drop down the pen / USB flash drive, and then click Begin copyng after Erase USB Device and then confirm with Yes (before, if you have any data on the USB memory , you should remove them because, during the procedure, all data will be erased);
- In the fourth and last step, called Creating bootable USB device, you will create the pen / USB flash drive with the files needed to install Windows 7. Upon completion of the procedure (which can take several minutes), you can also close the program.
At this point, if you’ve downloaded the ISO with Windows 7 Professional, but you have to install another version of Windows 7, before restarting your computer, you have to go to the pen / USB flash drive, enter the folder and delete the files and sources the. cfg. Doing it this way, when you start the operating system installation, you can choose (Product Key permitting) which edition of Windows 7 install opting between Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.
Now you can restart your computer and, with the pen / USB flash drive inserted, you need to change the boot order so that the first boot device is precisely the USB memory. On newer computers, you can change the boot order without the need to enter the BIOS but the touch (usually) the F12 key before, during or after the Power-on self-test screen
Through the use of pen / USB flash drive, the actual installation of the operating system will also be on average faster than installing via classical CD / DVD. Immediately before the first reboot occurs, you can also remove the pen / flash drive from the USB port, otherwise, if you have changed the boot order in the BIOS, could start again the installation of the operating system (but simply cancel to pick up where you left off). Now you know how to install Windows 7 from USB without CD / DVD, so if in the future you do not have at hand a burner again or lose the original CD / DVD of Windows 7, you’ll know how to do.